Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Locker room rant: Ladies of North America, it's time to embrace the naked!

Tonight I realized something that has really changed in my mind since living in Asia. There I was at hot yoga, just finished up class and in the locker room unwinding and getting ready to head home. The locker room is rather small and only has two washrooms. As I strip down and change into clean undies, I head over to the washrooms to pee, only to find both of them full. As I stand there and wait, I realize the occupants are not using the washroom, but changing their clothes!! SERIOUSLY LADIES?!! You would think that at a yoga studio, of all places women would be more at peace with their bodies and not feel ashamed about getting naked in front of other women. Why is it that people in North America think/feel that way? I've been noticing since attending this studio that women are often changing in the shower stalls or hiding themselves behind towels to put on their bras and undies. COME ON PEOPLE!! No one cares what you look like naked!

After living in Korea where it's bare all or go home, I've become very comfortable with walking around the locker room nude, or in my undies. Here in Canada, I find myself almost feeling ashamed yet again for being that person who bares it all and doesn't care. Why is it that our society almost forces us to feel like we need to hide our bodies, especially in an environment that is all about loving yourself and your body? If you're going to pay exorbitant amounts of money to belong to a yoga studio and dress yourself in all the expensive yoga clothes, at least put some effort into actually trying to feel comfortable in your own body. I mean I do not always have the highest of self-esteems, but I sure as hell can get naked in a locker room!!! We need to start changing the way our culture thinks. We are teaching the next generation of children to be ashamed of their bodies, thus continuing the ever growing number of women with eating disorders and body image disorders.

Rant over. Please return to your regularly scheduled programming.

2 comments:

  1. I think you might appreciate this article. http://www.utne.com/community/bathing-beauties.aspx

    Also, it's ironic timing that I came across your post. My sister called me up all excited a few weeks ago because she is in a yoga class with Shenae Grimes. My sister had a conversation with Shenae while they showered (It's an open shower room with no stalls or anything, just out in the open) after Yoga class. My sister's not into women, but she thought it was pretty cool to be able to say that she's showered with a celebrity. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not everyone has has had the opportunity to live "in Korea where it's bare all or go home". Is it possible you felt the same way before you lived abroad?

    ReplyDelete