Monday, February 22, 2016

Oh how the time flies by

I'm ashamed at how long it's been since I've written. I rather like writing, especially knowing that very few people actually read it, it's more for my enjoyment of actually getting my thoughts down rather than entertaining readers. I've been overwhelmed with thoughts lately and it's time to let them flow. I'll be coming up on two years in PEI this April. Hard to believe it's gone by so fast. I've settled into life here, finally just got a part-time teaching contact and have really been enjoying Crossfit. Problem is, after almost two years here I still don't have any friends. I've got acquaintances, I've got workout buddies at the gym, but as I realized tonight, I don't have a single friend I could call up to bounce thoughts off of.

I find it hard here especially, people are friendly, but because they've mostly had the same friends their entire lives they don't need or have room for new friends. Not to mention a large part of many people's weekends revolves around drinking and "going out". They problem I'm finding is that I lie in a limbo of sorts: too old to hang with the twenty-somethings, but too childless to hang with the parent crew. It makes for a lot of lonely afternoons and evenings. Not to say I don't enjoy my alone time, I do. I actually prefer to do a lot of things alone, but I definitely miss my days abroad with endless friends to adventure with. I miss having girlfriends to chat with, friends to check out a movie or museum with, you know people who are genuine and actually want to spend time with you. In my experience here(prepare yourself for a generalization) people tend to be nice to your face but mean and judgemental behind your back. Obviously not everyone does that, but it seems to be a trend with some.

I find it much harder to acclimate to life in PEI than anywhere else I have lived. It constantly has me wondering why I can't seem to make connections here when I've never had these struggled anywhere else.
I wish people would just be straightforward instead of the fake niceness I've experienced. I continue to try to make friends regardless of the negative experiences that keep happening, but it can be frustrating and disappointing at times.

Wah wah wah, my woe is me rant is over. Tomorrow's a new day and I'll keep trucking along.

1 comment:

  1. I feel as we age, it becomes harder to find genuine friends. It's too bad you're feeling kin of in between and lost.
    Hope you feel better after the rant.

    ReplyDelete