Sunday, November 7, 2010

Having a wonderous lazy Sunday

Today is a fantastic day. I slept in until 10:30 and then came online and had a chat with my friend Lynn, who I haven't spoken to since I have been in Korea. It was really nice. Video chat is so much better than a regular phone chat, it's like you are actually there with the person instead of hundreds of thousands of miles away! After our chat I made a delicious breakfast of an omelet and pumpernickel toast! I have since been sitting at my computer reading the news, chatting with friends, and pondering life and the decisions we make.

It's funny how we change over the years. I am currently chatting with a friend who had somewhat of a mini reunion with some of our high school friends last night. It is interesting to hear the changes that people have made in their lives. It seems that it is always the people who you thought were going to be the world travelers, who are the ones who settle down with the whole package: man, white picket fence, good jobs and the prospect of kids in the near future. And then there are the rest of us who are still wandering through life, unsure of what path to take and too afraid to settle down to one job or career decision. For so many years I thought that all I needed to do to be happy was to get a good job, find a man and buy a house and live happily ever after. I now know that is all a facade. Atleast in my view of what I need to be happy. The thought of settling down to one job, one city and one life is terrifying to me now. Ten years ago I thought that by age 26 I would be married and happy. I guess it's all a part of growing up and changing.

The experiences we have in life and the choices we make seem to have a direct impact on the way we look at life and what we need to be happy. I quickly learning the things that make me happy, and none of them have anything to do with a job or success in a career, or material possessions for that matter. I used to think that having the best clothes and the nicest things would make me happy, but it wasn't until I got rid of all those things and began to live minimally that I realized how useless they really are. This experience in Korea is helping me to see who I really am. For the first time in my life I am alone. Literally and figuratively. It is time for me to grow and figure out who I am and what I am doing with this life.

2 comments:

  1. OK, this is deep. Are you my daughter or did someone post in your place?
    You're lucky though. I went through these things more in my thirties after the job, the kids and the house. You're getting it all figured out now. wow!
    By the way, post a picture sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing ... reading this post I thought how much you sounded like your mother.

    ReplyDelete