Friday, January 25, 2013

Things to do

Well we are almost one month down for 2013 and it was an eye opening month for me. I've realized it's time to make some changes. I have now been in Korea for 2.5 years and seems I have fallen into a familiar rut and routine. I have my circle of friends and my usual weekend plans and my schedule doesn't often change. Although Seoul is one of the biggest cities in the world, as an expat living here, the community is small, it is sometimes very easy to forget how big the city really is and all that it has to offer.

Originally I came to Korea because of what an ex-boyfriend, turned great friend taught me: do things that scare you, jump out of your comfort zone and surprise yourself at what you can accomplish. My move here was exactly that, a giant leap out of my comfort zone, and low and behold I am still here. It has been pointed out to me lately that I no longer do those things, I am in a relationship with my best friend in the world and I have been content with living our routine month to month. But it's time for a change. I need to push myself, beyond what I am comfortable with, to be my greatest self. So I am compiling a to-do list of sorts, some may be huge hurdles, others may be small things I've always wanted to do, or things I just haven't had the time to do. Either way I want to strive to do at least one thing a week. The first two items I will be doing this weekend!

1. Volunteer teach
2. Coffee meet up with local Bundang ladies I haven't met.
3. Go check out High Street Market in Itaewon
4. Start a Monthly Movie Night Group(in the works!)
5. Go ice climbing
6. Volunteer at an Orphanage
7. Revive the Seoul Sharriettes Womens Hash
8. Go on a solo weekend away
9. Take a trip and couchsurf!
10. Plan a multiday bike trip(Busan?)
11. Find the Glamourous Penguin coffee shop and spend the afternoon reading there
12. Write emails to catch up with old friends
13. Learn to rock climb
14. Go on a WINK(When in Korea) trip
15. Join a yoga class
16. Plan and save for a Christmas trip to Thailand
17. Go to Jeju and hike Hallasan, solo or with friends
18. Go to a Jjimjilbang
19. Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity
20. Go with Ben to volunteer at Angel House
21. Bungee jump(maybe..eek!)
22. Save up, move to a random country, somewhere warm
23. Visit Wyoming and proceed to fall in love with it(I know I will)
24. Be more aware of other peoples feelings
25. Visit one new place in Seoul a month
26. Japan!
27. Take a Korean cooking class
28. Complete one Rosetta Stone Korean lesson per week and practice!
29. Declutter-give away one thing a week I am no longer using
30. Show a friend how much I appreciate them by doing something nice for them
31. Genuinely listen to someone
32. Hug everyone I love
33. Save $10 a week towards random adventure vacations

So there ya have it, that's what I'll be up to in the coming weeks, trying to get back to the person that I love to be! As I complete them I will come back periodically and strike them out!

5 comments:

  1. I like the list, and I'm confident you can do these things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to bike to Busan as well. I've read that camping along the way is to be somewhat difficult. I'm still exploring camping options and other alternative lodging, including couchsurfing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have alot of friends who've done it and I know a few camping spots, as well as super cheap motels along the way!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is an impressive list. You can do it. And will be rewarded I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to go to the market and the Glamorous Penguin bookshop!

    ReplyDelete