Saturday, December 7, 2013

Things I will miss about Korea (Part I)

It's  the beginning of December which means the weather is getting chilly, the holiday buzz is on and I've got roughly two and a half months left in this country. It's hard to even think back to when I didn't live here. All the little nuances and cultural differences are a way of life now. Integrating back into North American life is going to be hard for me so I've decided to do a series of posts featuring things I'll miss about Korea. 


First and foremost, my kiddos. While I may complain and gripe about a bad day, these guys are saviors for my sanity. Their smiles make my day every day. They come to class excited to see me and have a good time at school. Hanging with them is awesome and I'm going to miss not having them to go see everyday.


Random street art everywhere. The alleys and streets of Seoul are filled with graffiti and art work. Some of it's amateur work and some of them are genuinely gorgeous works of art. You never know what might be around the corner from you. 

Seoul skyline. I love this city. I fall in love with it every time I look around. It's a small but big city and every neighborhood brings something different. A new adventure, a new view and new experiences. 

It's such a digital world. Pagers for everything! No waiting in lines here. I'm currently sitting in a 24 hour coffee shop sipping a green tea latte and writing this post from my iPhone. Korea is so connected, there is free wifi everywhere!! Even on buses and trains! At times it's overwhelming how many people have cell phones or tablets in their hands on a daily basis but at other times it's a life savor. There is an app for everything in this country. You can find out which subway to take and exactly what time you'll get there, or what bus to get on and the exact current location of it. You can find restaurants and bars, compare shopping and order just about anything you can think up. 


The hashers. For the past two years my life has been about the hash. Every Saturday and Sunday I wake up early to trek to Seoul to run with this bunch of crazy lunatics. Over that time, I have made countless friends, fell in love, had my heart broken, discovered my second family and fell in love again. The hash has shown me more parts of this great city than I ever could have explored on my own. It has taught me to keep going even when times are tough. It has taught me to forgive and forget, and to let other peoples differences be keys to great friendships. The hash has become my family and of all the things I will miss about Korea, they are the biggest one. 

Time for breakfast! Stay tuned for my next post!

1 comment:

  1. You might find we've kept up over here. There're apps for everything ! Also, wifi everywhere. We will be glad to welcome you home!

    ReplyDelete