Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Flying into 2014, literally

It's 10:20 am on December 31, 2013 and I am sitting in the Toronto airport awaiting my flight back to Seoul, where it is already 2014. Airports are one of my favourite things about travelling, there's no better place to people watch. Everyone is coming and going, visiting family, reuniting with friends, it's a community within a community of people with the same goals. As I sit here and look back on all the things that have happened this year, I feel lucky enough to even be sitting in an airport ready to board an international flight. Not everyone gets the same opportunities I have been lucky enough to have. I have been lucky enough to travel the world, make new friends, live in a foreign country and so much more. Sometimes it's hard to see beyond the stress and strife of daily life and see how lucky we really are.

Looking back at the things I hoped to accomplish in 2013 it's hit or miss. Some things I checked off the list, others I didn't, others I accomplished and didn't even know I would. I travelled to Japan, became GM of my hash kennel, had my heartbroken, fell in love, met new friends, took a solo trip to Busan, ran my first full marathon, applied to school, visited my family, sprained my ankle, embarrassed myself while drinking too much, cried, laughed, loved, and so much more. It's been a year of learning and figuring things out. I turned 29 in June and celebrated with my birthday twin and all of our friends. This last year of my twenties has been a big one in helping me evolve and grow. I have made friends who will be friends for life, who have helped me change and have picked me up when I was down. I know I am still learning, I am still lost and trying to figure out who I am and where my place is in this big crazy world. 

This next year brings a lot of change into my life, I will be leaving Korea after three and a half years for the unknown. I've applied to schools to take my Bachelor of Education so once my contract is finished in March, I will make my way back to Canada to await what I hope are acceptance letters. Australia is a back up plan should I not get into school, so there are opportunities on the horizon. It's a lot of change for me and I am genuinely terrified to leave Seoul, the place I have called home for so long and my friends who are now family. But I remind myself that when I chose to take the leap and move to Seoul originally I was also terrified of what the future would hold. I was, as I am now, terrified of being alone, scared of not making it on my own, but everything worked out then and I know it will work out now. It's time to open a new chapter of my life and this is the year. It'll be a year of focusing on myself, my health, my future, and figuring out who I am. 

So as I fly into 2014, I am thankful for all that I've experienced this past year and I am excited for all the new adventures I will have this year. I know the things I need to do to make myself the best I can be; eat healthy, run, workout, sleep, love, be loved and go with the flow. If I can do all of these things in 2014, it's destined to be a great year!! ON-ON to Seoul! Happy New Year everyone!


1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year my sweet! It is quite amazing that you are actually "flying into 2014". The unknown is always scary. It's the hardest thing to deal with but as you say, it will work out and you will grow. I know there will be some wonderful new things on the horizon.
    Safe travels. We will be following you.

    ReplyDelete