Friday, August 27, 2010

a strange adventure

Well I made it! Our plane arrived last night around 6pm local time. After finding our bags and getting out of the airport we all found our drivers. Desiree and I got into our cab with a Korean man who obviously didn't speak any english. All we could do was assume he knew where we were going. After about an hour and a half we arrived at our apartment building. Outside waiting for us was the Director of our school June. She showed us to our "apartments". They were the size I had assumed they would be, but they are not exactly as nice as we were hoping. After speaking with some of the other teachers at school today we came to realize that this is the norm around here. So much for a society that is far more advanced than us! We are basically slumming it! Desiree and I are going to look for a better place to live but until then this is our home. So after waking up this morning I was a little uneasy, not only was I not feeling well, but the reality of what I was doing was finally sinking in!! Nerve racked and restless, we went out exploring our neighborhood this morning, which was, to say the least, a little confusing!

At 9:30 our Director picked us up for what we thought was a medical. We ended up spending the entire day at school, (except for the actual medical part), which was actually nice. The faces of those kids actually makes the terrible apartment bearable. They were all so cute and outgoing! I think the job is going to be super fun! I am sure it will be challenging and the days are long, but the kids are why I came here so I am happy that I will get to spend my days with them. We mett some of the other teachers today as well and they seem really nice, so I am glad we will have a few of them around to help us figure stuff out.

After an exhausting day at work, Desiree and I hit the local lotte mart(a cheap walmart equivalent), where we both picked up a few groceries. We plan to go to the E-mart(a better store with better prices apparently) to pick up some much needed essentials such as sheets and pillows. Until then I plan on sending some emails and hitting the hay!!

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! This is random but your blog popped up on a google search I was doing for the POLY school in Suji. I love some of the things that you've written about the city, but what did you think of the school? I have an offer from them right now (hence the google search!) and am just trying to get an honest opinion of a teacher who has taught there. Even the shortest message would be greatly appreciated! megkgaffney@gmail.com Thanks! ~Meg

    ReplyDelete