Saturday, January 1, 2011

Vietnam for Christmas....an eyeopening experience!

Since it is my first year, actually, away from home, it was fitting that I spent my first Christmas away from my family. This year my friend Desiree and I planned a trip to Vietnam for a week during our vacation. Since I am new at this whole travelling thing, I was a bit nervous, but I had also done a fair amount of research so I felt I was ready for what Vietnam had in store for me. Little did I know.... I set off early Saturday morning for Incheon Airport in Seoul, where I met up with Desiree. We flew to Shanghai, where we had a 7 hour layover that turned into a 10 hour layover, until our flight to Ho Chi Min City.  The time in the airport was long, but we made some friends along the way. We finally arrived in Ho Chi Min at around 4am Sunday morning. I had booked a private car to pick us up and drive us to our resort 4 hours way in Phan Thiet. For the first part we slept, and then the sun came up and my eyes opened to a world I had never known.



Driving through rural Vietnam was unlike anything I had ever seen before. The houses (if you could even call them houses) were made of concrete, cement, or sometimes just twigs and sticks. There were no cars in the drive way. No televisions in the living rooms. Animals were running freely everywhere. Chickens, cows, bulls, dogs and cats. Even though it was the early hours of the morning, children were running around playing in the yard. I was in shock. Never before have a seen so much poverty. How easy it is for us to ignore places like this when we have our own luxuries. 





We arrived at our resort in Phan Thiet at around 8am and we were greeted by the concierge. The resort was beautiful. A major difference compared to what we had just witnessed. Even though we were tired, the sun was out and we were eager to get out and explore. We took a quick nap and then grabbed some bikes (which were free to use at the resort) and went exploring. The city of Phan Thiet was quaint and slightly more wealthy than what we had seen on our way there. In the middle of the city there is a harbour filled with colorful fishing boats. 


One of the interesting things I liked about Vietnam was that everyone drives a scooter or a motorbike. There are very few cars and they are generally taxis. The rules of the road are simple. If you are bigger, you have the right away. 




Naturally, we decided to rent our own scooters to get around. This was my first time ever driving a scooter, but once I got it on, I felt so empowered. It was like playing a racing game but in real life! It also helped us to understand the Vietnamese way of life.

 We took the scooters along the coast to the more touristy area called Mui Ne. Just outside the city, there are famous sand dunes that change every year. We went to check them out and were met by a bunch of local children who accompanied us there. It was a sight to see! 


The lifestyle of Vietnam is laid back and one that I could easily get used to! It was such an amazing experience to see another completely different way of life. They live off the land and with very few modern amenities that we have grown to need for everyday existance. It really makes you think, and be thankful for the things you have in life. I truly am a lucky girl! 



After a week of sun and fun, we sadly had to leave Vietnam to come home to Korea. Unfortunately, due to flight scheduling, we ended up spending New Years Eve in the Vietnam airport. Here's to 2011, and more new adventures!!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see more pictures. We do live such a seemingly protected life here in Canada don't we? what are those things on the beach? Are they off the palms?
    I sure envy you the exploration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey
    Greetings from Novotel Phan Thiet
    Glad that you enjoyed your trip to Vietnam and Phan Thiet.
    Happy New Year!!!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the photo of the children!

    ReplyDelete