Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Finally some sleep!

I have been having trouble sleeping for as long as I can remember, however, recently it has been the worst I have ever had. I toss and turn all night, maybe getting 2-3 hours total. A friend introduced me to this Zen Habits website and I've been spending some time reading up on it. I found an article about how to sleep like a baby, so I decided to try it out.

Here's how my night went last night:

Arrive home from work. Put in load of laundry. Cook and eat dinner. Run errand to store. Come home, clean up dishes, hang up laundry. Watch an episode of New Girl while painting my nails. Call boyfriend to say good night. Once that's done it's time for my new favorite app, Headspace. 10 minutes of meditation. Turn phone to airplane mode. Then floss, brush teeth and get into bed. Read one chapter. Lights out, lay in bed, recount all things I did that day starting from the first moment I woke up. I think I made it to lunch time and then I was asleep.

The article I read emphasized the importance of having a sleep routine. I had already been doing the meditating thing this week so I just added in a few others. I decided to turn my phone to airplane mode while sleeping, that way my alarm will still wake me up, but messages and notifcations will wait until morning. By doing laundry and cleaning my dishes, everything was ready for the next day.  They also said the trick to falling asleep was going through all the things you did that day.

I woke up at about 5am, having slept through since 10pm. Not bad. Had it not been -17C outside I would have gone for a run.

We'll see how it works tonight when I am a bit busier and have to go into Seoul after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment