Monday, September 6, 2010

Settling in

Well I have almost been here for two weeks now and I have to say things are going quite smoothly. I am settling into a nice teaching groove and am really enjoying the kids and my classes. The days are quite long, I am at work from 9am to 7:30pm everyday, but it is keeping me busy which is good!

My fellow teacher, Desiree, who lives downstairs from me, has been helpful to have around. Not only is she one of the only friends I have here, but she likes to run as well so she has been helping me to keep at a good running routine.

This past weekend we ventured into Seoul with a few of the other teachers from our school. It was pretty fun! Being the sheltered, small town girl that I am, being in a big city like Seoul was pretty fun for me! We rode the subway around town, (my first subway experience!) and did some shopping. One area we went to was called Myeong Dong. It's apparently one of the best shopping districts. The streets were packed with people! Tons of vendors lined the sides of the streets and were selling everything from food to designer knock offs.


It was a pretty awesome day! Needless to say after an entire day of walking around the busy streets of Seoul I was exhausted. We got back to Suji around 10pm after an hour bus ride and I basically passed out immediately! 

Last Friday night we went out to dinner with some of the fellow teachers. It was my first Korean BBQ experience! And it was amazing! There is a bbq in the middle of the tables and they bring you whatever kind of meat you want and fill the table with endless side dishes. Everything was so delicious! We topped it off with some Korean beer and Soju! Not a bad experience! Afterward we went with one of our coworkers to a place called the Makgeolli Hut. It is basically an open air bar/restaurant that is famous for it's Makgeolli(rice wine). It was a pretty cool place and turns out that Makgeolli and cyder(sprite) is a pretty delicious drink! 

Desiree and I are planning our Christmas Vacation already and have decided on visiting Bali for our week off! I have been researching flights and hotels and it looks like we are going to have an amazing cheap sunny Christmas holiday! 

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. It all just sounds so much fun! You might know you found a drink that you like there.

    ReplyDelete