Saturday, February 13, 2010

Climbing some ice!


I had such an amazing day today! Bright and early we headed down to the university to meet up with the UNB rock and ice club staff for our day of ice climbing. I was excited all morning but it was more than I anticipated!

After a 40 minute drive and a 10 minute hike we were at the base of Hays Falls off the Maliseet trail. We listened to some instruction and then we paired off to start climbing! They had set up 5 different ropes starting from easiest and getting increasingly harder. The first few were pretty easy but then last two were much harder. They took alot more upper body strength. It was by far one of the hardest things I have ever done. The funny thing is that while I was pretty high up I didn't have a lot of time to dwell on my fear of heights. I was constantly thinking about where to put my foot next so it wasn't that big of a deal.




I managed to climb all five climbs successfully and without anything worse than a few bruises. Ice climbing is definitely a new favorite sport that I will be eager to try again. The feeling of accomplishment when you get to the top is pretty amazing. The day was definitely a successful one, met a ton of nice people, climbed a whole bunch of ice and finished it off with a celebratory beer.



All in all pretty amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That looks awesome. I'd love to be able to try it. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete